manholt

Pads For Jacks

29 posts in this topic

On 9/13/2014 at 10:49 AM, desertdeals69 said:

I screwed together 2 12"x12" 3/4 ext plywood pieces with sheet rock screws. If I am on soft ground they bend slightly so the next time I use them I turn them over.

Update.  Since I got my new to me coach recently and let my above pads go with my old motorhome, I made another set of pads.  I used 1 1/8 inch sub flooring plywood.  I have 12 inch squares screwed and glued double thickness.  Routed the edges 1/4 inch quarter round and drilled 1/2 hole near a corner for using the awning hook to position them.  The thing I like about jacks over air leveling is that the coach doesn't rock as much and you can change tires with them.

Yep! I echo the plywood ideas... Many years ago  (7 or 8?)  we were in a very unlevel site at The Riverside, went to The Home Depot in Bullhead City and had them cut a 4x8 3/4" exterior grade plywood sheet into 1 ft squares (for free).  Screwed 4 pairs together 2 deep (i wish I had offset them, Brett) -- no glue needed as they don't crack anyway -- as the base set. I keep several individual squares to stack to keep the jack throw as short as I can when in a way off level site.  Each base set has a drawer pull handle to push/pull with the awning stick.   They work under the tires if necessary.  They are still going strong.

8 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

I installed a set of snap pads and have used them on gravel for 1 month and at the Diesel rally this passed week on grass. So far they seem to work great and there is no placing and storage once installed.

We also installed a set of Snap Pads and they have worked great on gravel, grass, concrete and asphalt. It is great to not have to get down on the ground every time to set out pads or blocks to level on, especially when the weather outside is less than perfect.

Carl brings up a good point.  My Damon Astoria has a GVWR of 28,000 lbs and the Lynx blocks work well.  They may not work so well for very heavy motorhomes.  I can not find a max weight rating for the Lynx blocks.  However, I have an older, partial set of Valterra leveling blocks that I used with my travel trailer for 18 months of temporary living while on a project assignment (disposed of several of them after the became fatigued by the sun).  Valterra blocks have a max weight rating of 40,000 lbs.  I'd think Lynx and other brand blocks would have a similar max weight rating.

Valterra leveling blocks info --> https://www.rvupgradestore.com/EZ-LEVELER-JACK-PAD-p/92-0918.htm