Photo

FMCA Coach-Net Benefit

rv roadhelp roadhelp emergency road service allstate motorhome roadside assistance

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 RonaldNC

RonaldNC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:30 PM

FMCA lists "Emergency Road Service and Technical Assistance" provided by Coach-Net as an FMCA member benefit. However, it's not clear what we get with our membership... as there is a link to the Coach-Net (now NMC) website where they want additional fees for their service. So my question is ... am I missing something? What comes with the FMCA membership?

Please help this confused RVer ...

Ron

Ron Clanton
2009 Monaco Cayman PKQ
Cary, NC

#2 lmsooter

lmsooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • I travel:With Pets, Full-time in my motorhome

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:09 AM

The Coach-Net program is available as an additional cost benefit just as the Good Sam ERS (Emergency Road Service) is a benefit. I believe the benefit is having a program available which has been reviewed by our association and found to be valuable to many members. Just as the Mail Forwarding Service (both with FMCA and Good Sam) is available as a benefit at additional cost, so it is with the emergency road service programs.
Leary and Sandra Sooter
2006 Alfa See Ya
2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade
Roadmaster Falcon 2 Towbar
Brake Buddy Vantage
WesTex Chapter

#3 RonaldNC

RonaldNC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:15 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I wasn't really trying to compare organizations (I belong to both)... it's just unclear what you get with the membership fee and what requires additional payment.

Having said that... I think that both could be clearer... there's a big difference in saying that the organization provides a service of filtering good products or services versus implying that you actually are getting something with your membership. If you read the "benefit" page with an objective eye, it's not at all clear. It originally looked like you are getting some kind of base service plan with your membership, but could upgrade to Gold or Platinum with an extra fee.

Thanks,

Ron
Ron Clanton
2009 Monaco Cayman PKQ
Cary, NC

#4 lmsooter

lmsooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:58 PM

What you say is true. I also belong to both organizations and the explanations on the benefits pages could be made a little more clear by a simple statement that these are optional programs available at additional cost. Like you I at first thought that we had a basic plan and could upgrade but found last year that was not the case.
Leary and Sandra Sooter
2006 Alfa See Ya
Brake Buddy Vantage
WesTex Chapter

#5 chucknewman

chucknewman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • I travel:Full-time in my motorhome

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:47 AM

Ron,

"It originally looked like you are getting some kind of base service plan with your membership, but could upgrade to Gold or Platinum with an extra fee." That is exactly the case. They offer three tiers of service as does AAA and most other plans. That said, I don't know if you can upgrade/downgrade during the course of the 12 month contract, but we have both upgraded to Platinum and downgraded to Gold during our renewals.

I had heard nothing but good from posters about CoachNet prior to our joining a few years ago. We've used them only once for a lockout situation, but the telephone service from CN and the service from the locksmith were excellent.

In 15 years with Good Sam ERS I needed them twice with a brand new DP coach. Dealing with Good Sam was argue, argue, and more baloney.

They would not listen and sent no fewer than three tow trucks until they finally got one of the size I told them repeatedly they would need. A complete fiasco.
Chuck & Elva, Wheel Estate Travelers
Safari Serengeti, 3126B, VMSpc | Ford Van, M&G Braking System | Scooter
See Us Here

#6 lmsooter

lmsooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:38 PM

Chuck,

Thanks for your comments on your experience. I considered the Good Sam ERS this year when my Coach-Net came due for renewal but decided to keep what I have. I have never had to use Coach-Net but everything I have heard has been good.
Leary and Sandra Sooter
2006 Alfa See Ya
Brake Buddy Vantage
WesTex Chapter

#7 TBUTLER

TBUTLER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:48 AM

Being full time for 9+ years, we have used both services and found them to be good at times and then you get the service agent who really isn't familiar with RV's or just isn't very helpful. I'm sure they are busy sometimes and juggling several customers, etc.

Anyway, this fall we were on the road in Alabama, just north of Montgomery. It was Sunday night and I ran over some junk on the shoulder where we were forced to drive on the shoulder due to road work. The outside rear dual tire went down quick. The Pressure Pro alarm went off and I could see where the problem was. I pulled off as soon as an additional lane opened up and when I got out of the coach I could hear the tire hissing! I had picked up a cargo hook and it ruined the tire.

I called Coach-Net which we've been using for the last 4 years and they had someone on the way with a used replacement tire. The service man attempted to repair the tire but it wouldn't hold so I ended up having the replacement tire mounted. It wasn't an exact replacement, the size was close enough for temporary use. So I had to buy a tire which would be worthless to me when I got to a tire shop. Since I had driven for a short distance with the other tire carrying most of the weight, it would be replaced as well.

I was back on the road in about an hour and a half and considered that pretty good service for a Sunday night. The next day we drove to Jackson, Mississippi on the replacement. I had called Wingfoot (Goodyear Commercial Service) and found two new G670's to replace both tires.

Tom and Louise Butler
2004 Monaco Windsor, Cummins 400 ISL
Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar, Brakemaster, GMC Acadia, BikeE Recumbent Bicycles

After 9 1/2 years full time in our motor home and being Winter Texans we are now living at Sandpipers Resort in Edinburg, Texas. Now we are Summer Chickens!

"The tipi is much better to live in; always clean and warm in winter, cool in summer, easy to move... If the Great Spirit wanted men to live in one place he would have made the world stand still." -- Flying Hawk, South Dakota Oglala Sioux

#8 kgebhart

kgebhart

• FMCA Staff
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:09 PM

There is a listing of FMCA's member benefits on page 87 of the current issue (February 2011) of Family Motor Coaching magazine.

Benefits that require additional sign-up and fees are followed by an asterisk.

#9 RonaldNC

RonaldNC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:52 PM

Thanks all for the replies. I noticed today that the "Benefits" page has been updated to clarify the benefits included vs. those which can be purchased for additional cost.

It's really nice to see that kind of positive response from our organization!

Drive careful,

Ron
Ron Clanton
2009 Monaco Cayman PKQ
Cary, NC

#10 parmm

parmm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:17 PM

To get the advertised CoachNet prices, you must belong to a CoachNet affiliated RV Club, FMCA and its individual chapters being some of the affiliated RV Clubs. If you do not belong to a CoachNet affiliated RV Club, you can not purchase CoachNet's emergency roadside service. The interesting catch is that CoachNet has their own "RV Club" that you can join and it comes with their ERS service, but it does not have any of the other FMCA or other club benefits. My original affiliation was through the Allegro Club, and my current affiliation is through FMCA. So that is how it is a benefit. You get the privilege of purchasing their ERS because you belong to a authorized affiliated RV Club (FMCA). Having said all that, I must say that I have CoachNet ERS because I think that they provide the best service, and go beyond and above what is required of them. They were not my first ERS, and I will never go back to the original ERS that I first had.

#11 bizsmith@yahoo.com

bizsmith@yahoo.com

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:53 AM

I have been satisfied with CoachNet. A blowout, a flat tire in a state park, and a failed pressure regulator on the coach air brake system, all handled to my satisfaction. Only three incidents in about 7 years but when you need help, you need help.

#12 stuplich

stuplich

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

FMCA lists "Emergency Road Service and Technical Assistance" provided by Coach-Net as an FMCA member benefit. However, it's not clear what we get with our membership... as there is a link to the Coach-Net (now NMC) website where they want additional fees for their service. So my question is ... am I missing something? What comes with the FMCA membership?

Please help this confused RVer ...

Ron

One thing YOU DO NOT GET is a better price.

Don't assume there is an advantage if you belong to FMCA, contact CoachNet and ask!

#13 camperken

camperken

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

One thing YOU DO NOT GET is a better price.
Don't assume there is an advantage if you belong to FMCA, contact CoachNet and ask!

I called CoachNet to renew and asked about the FMCA discount. I was told I needed to sign up for a "new" membership through the FMCA site. Did it that way, saved $10, so there IS an advantage to belonging to FMCA !

#14 stuplich

stuplich

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:21 AM

I called CoachNet to renew and asked about the FMCA discount. I was told I needed to sign up for a "new" membership through the FMCA site. Did it that way, saved $10, so there IS an advantage to belonging to FMCA !

But, it cost the price of an FMCA membership to get the $10 off of the CoachNet price.

How is that an "advantage"?

#15 hermanmullins

hermanmullins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

But, it cost the price of an FMCA membership to get the $10 off of the CoachNet price.

How is that an "advantage"?

stuplich,

Let me get this straight, you want the Benefits from FMCA but are appalled that you have to be a member to get them, is that correct?

Herman

"Fair winds and Following Seas"

Herman & Bobbie Mullins, F302225
Whitewright, TEXAS
'02 Monaco Dynasty, 40-foot 400 HP ISL
Chevrolet Silverado (M & G air brakes)
U.S. Navy PR-3 1956 to 1964

Southern Region Vice President for Six-State Rally Association
Lone Star Chapter FMCA Past President
South Central Lucky Rollers
Rally in The Pasture

#16 stuplich

stuplich

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:05 AM

stuplich,

Let me get this straight, you want the Benefits from FMCA but are appalled that you have to be a member to get them, is that correct?

Herman

No!

That is incorrect!

The point I was trying to make in an earlier post is this:

Many of the "bennefits" have been eliminated/reduced over the years, (ie: FMCAssist and now the fact that only "new members" get a FMCA discount  on the price of CoachNet).

What one gets from FMCA is no longer worth the FMCA annual membership fee.........(aka: the point at which I will not be renewing my membership).

Mel

#17 hermanmullins

hermanmullins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:16 AM

Thank you.

"Fair winds and Following Seas"

Herman & Bobbie Mullins, F302225
Whitewright, TEXAS
'02 Monaco Dynasty, 40-foot 400 HP ISL
Chevrolet Silverado (M & G air brakes)
U.S. Navy PR-3 1956 to 1964

Southern Region Vice President for Six-State Rally Association
Lone Star Chapter FMCA Past President
South Central Lucky Rollers
Rally in The Pasture

#18 danddferr

danddferr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:34 PM

Herman, everybody wants something for nothing. OK, maybe that is not entirely true but some people are always looking for a free ride. I have enjoyed my membership to FMCA and after attending my first rally last year we had a blast. The DW and I ran the coffee/ donut breakfast piece and helped with the pancake breakfast and the hot dog social. . With the friends that we brought with us and the new ones we met it was great!

A membership is a lot like pumping out your home septic system..... WHAT YOU GET OUT OF IT IS ENTIRELY DEPENDENT ON WHAT YOU PUT INTO IT!!!!!

Hope everyone is ready for a great camping season. It's been a tough winter in the North East. Between the Blizzard and Hurricane Sandy we lost a lot of trees. Looking forward to some nice warm weather. 

Dan

Dan and Donna Tiffin Allegro 32BA FRED towing a Honda Fit using Ready Brake tow system. There are 10 types of people in this world.... those who understand binary and those who don't!

#19 jcava

jcava

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:35 AM

Does the new Allstate deal mean FMCA found the CoachNet service inadequate in some way - or are my suspicions correct that Alllstate provided FMCA a bigger $Piece of the pie in order to grab this unique business [that they are unlikely prepared to handle very well]?

#20 teachers_pet

teachers_pet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:27 AM

Same question: What is the deal with the e-mail about RV Roadhelp vs CoachNet? Has FMCA dropped CoachNet? Or is this an added benefit with our memberships? CoachNet has always came through for us, much better than Good Sam or others we've had in the past.

Terry & Dale
Butterscotch and Duchess the Scottish Terriers
Fulltimers
'06 Phaeton '40 QSH
'03 Sport Trac

'04 R-Vision 213 B+

Internet via Datastorm & MIFI

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rv roadhelp, roadhelp, emergency road service, allstate, motorhome roadside assistance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users