Icon Welcome to the FMCA Motorhome Forums!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to create topics; post replies to existing topics; upload pictures; manage your profile; get your own private messenger; create blogs; and more. Sign up now! Already have an account? Sign in. This message will be removed once you are signed in.

Photo
- - - - -

Rand McNally Tripmaker RVND 7710 Warning

GPS Rand McNally

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Barnero

Barnero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:28 PM

I just received one thru Camping World. I'd advise you to STAY AWAY from them at least for a while. It appears this unit was a "hurry up and get it out the door" situation, andf all the development and product support was not in place when they started shipping them.
Rodney Barnett
Huntsville, AL
99 Overland Loredo
01 Jeep Wrangler Sport toad

#2 jrwitt

jrwitt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:31 PM

I hear you. Used to be a software developer for a major company. We had a favorite saying: "Why is there never enough time to do it right, but there is always enough time to do it over?"

Later I bought one of the first Blackberry Storm cell phones. Same issue. Wasn't ready for the market. One of the worst electronic devices I have ever purchased. I heard the 2nd edition was great, but Blackberry lost me as a customer because of the poor quality of the first one. Will never buy anything else from them because of the poor support. It wasn't that they weren't willing to support it. There were just so many bugs and there were no solutions. Must of had at least 4 or 5 major software supgrades in the two years I had it and still it was junk.

As for the Garmin, there was some discussion on this forum a few months ago. I remember a couple of people saying there is a trucker's GPS that worked really well for RVers. They said it had more practical applications for motorhomes than the Garmin. Maybe you can search the forums and find the discussion.

Jack

#3 Guest_BillAdams_*

Guest_BillAdams_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:42 PM

I wish you would provide some information on which your post is based. What issues have you found?

#4 JMonroe

JMonroe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • I travel:With Pets, Full-time in my motorhome

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:31 PM

I agree with Bill. What are the issues? I'd have thought most 'big' problems would have already have been dealt with, based on their experience with the mostly identical 5510. This is no longer their first rodeo.
2011 American Revolution 42W
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon toad

Somewhere out there...

#5 janandkathy

janandkathy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:08 PM

I don't think Garmin makes this unit. I think Magillian does. Have not tried either the 55XX or 77XX because they are so new and the 77XX came out pretty quickly after the 55XX.

#6 sdennislee

sdennislee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:12 PM

I found with the 5510 it was more of an user issue than a GPS issue. Once people took time to read the manual and the tutorials, the problems they thought they had went away.
US Navy Veteran, Proud Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers.org and NRA Life Member
If you are coming to Alaska let me know. Love it here and love sharing Alaska with others.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40'

#7 Barnero

Barnero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:53 PM

Have you seen what is available with the 7710?? About a week ago, their website is STILL not supporting the 7710.
Rodney Barnett
Huntsville, AL
99 Overland Loredo

#8 Barnero

Barnero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:55 PM

I have yet to buy a Garmin unit I was dissappointed with as with the 7710. It was a bad decision to release the unit without detailed data and support in place.
Rodney Barnett
Huntsville, AL
99 Overland Loredo

#9 HMillsJr

HMillsJr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:31 PM

I just bought a 7710 from Camping World.

What problems have been discovered?

Planning a trip out west after first of year, used my Tom Tom two years ago in smaller coach, now have a 38' and need more info that they say they provide.

Mills
Fairfield, OH.
2005 Fleetwood Expedition
63 VW with Maxie Taxi Body

#10 h2o340

h2o340

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:50 PM

Good Afternoon. I purchased a 7710 directly from the manufacturer at a FMCA Rally in Madison, WI. I have used it considerably since that time and am extremely pleased with the unit and its settings.

I own a 42 ft. American Tradition and rely on the unit for my travels. To date, I certainly have not been disappointed and would recommend the purchase to those who drive a motor coach.

#11 WhiteEagle

WhiteEagle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:27 AM

Bought one at FMCA rally in Madison...Have only used it on two short trips and now on a 2000 mile journey ... It has done fine and I like the settings .. Have had to tilt it a couple of times to see the screen because it blurs out in bright sunlight more than it should , and it missed the entrance to the TopSail State Park campground by about 3 miles ..

Other than that, it has done well and I like the features of advance warning on speed limit changes, speed warnings, etc...

2009 Allegro Bus 40 QSP-Powerglide-Cummins ISL 8.9L DP-Allison 3000 6speed-2 stage Jake EB-Pressure Pro -Blue Ox Plate, Bar, Patriot Braking system-XtraRide Platinum Warranty FMCA Badgers-Allegro Club WAW- -CoachNet Platinum Roadside-Progressive Insur.

Everything's Relative - Unless Something Changes, Nothing Will

#12 slowe

slowe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:18 PM

Mine also missed Topsail this summer by 3 miles, and put us on a one way,dead end street in Fayetteville N.C. We had to take the car off the tow dolly and the gps insisted our address was across the street, when in actuality it was 9 miles away.

These 2 problems were the only ones in thousands of travel miles.

I like the features.

#13 Krashpad

Krashpad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:29 PM

I am trying to troubleshoot what seems to be a connection (battery) problem I plug in the little usb to both the wall charger and the vehicle charger and no indication what so ever of a charge. Then after about 1/2 hour down the road I get a low battery warning and then thats that. Rand is closed on weekends so here I am. Seems to be no way to open up the unit to check battery, anyway maybe I got a lemon.

#14 hermanmullins

hermanmullins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:35 PM

Take your usb cable into on of the cell phone stores and have them check out your cable. They will also have a car charger that will fit your GPS and they can plug in your GPS to see if it will charge on a different cable.
Hope this helps

"Fair winds and Following Seas"

Herman & Bobbie Mullins
Whitewright, TEXAS
F302225
'02 Monaco Dynasty
40 ft 400 HP ISL
Chevrolet Silverado (M & G air brakes)
US Navy PR-3 1956 to 1964

Southern Region Vice President for Six-State Rally Association
Lone Star Chapter FMCA Past President
South Central Lucky Rollers
Rally in The Pasture

#15 Krashpad

Krashpad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:13 PM

OK I'll give that a try Herman.

The only reason I feel this may not be the case is that I've had it on wall charger, vehicle charger and also the USB to Laptop connection they also included and the one thing that makes me feel (now) that I have a bad unit is that when I had it plugged into the laptop through the usb I never got the unit to show up as one of the connected items on my laptop. I didn't put one and one together at that point but now realize that this was also a problem "seeing " the unit as far as the computer was concerned. Makes sense to me now , but before I didn't think along the lines of a bad connection right out of the box.

At this point I will be pulling through Kissimmee FL on Monday and might just return the unit for a new one at the CW where I bought this from online.

Anyone else have any other ideas?

#16 tjwentling@astound.net

tjwentling@astound.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:16 PM

I see what is on line about the 7000 series however I am most interested in the 5510.
Any comments on this unit ??
Have been using a Garmin for years and very happy. Just wanted to get the RV additions that RM is pushing.

#17 Krashpad

Krashpad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:24 PM

My unit was faulty out of the box and wouldn't recognize the usb cable or anyother connections. Camping World changed it out at the store and the new one works like a charm. Seems to have all the bells and whistles

#18 my86gw

my86gw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:51 PM

I like mine, so far the only issue is problem with glare, but positioning unit in right place and angle eliminates glare. So far works good.

#19 jbettner

jbettner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

I purchased my 77 online. It worked great out of the box. Rand McNally is adding many many RV resorts to their data base. There is a way to recommend data changes direct to RM via satellite. We like the unit. So far have used on 1 10 day trip.

#20 bizsmith@yahoo.com

bizsmith@yahoo.com

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:12 AM

I don't have the 77 but missing Topsail is not the fault of the GPS. Most GPS units will miss Topsail because coordinates for Topsail are wrong as furnished to the manufacturers. This is true of many locations that are problems with a GPS. It's best to have your paper maps as a backup.

You almost have to use the physical address or coordinates for some parks. I have run into a problem with using the name of a place many times. I don't care what GPS you have. I think many use the same data base.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users