• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MikeMarie

MikeMarie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:17 PM

I just bought a 2008 Jayco Melbourne 29D and the battery tray has only one battery, I was told that it would be better to have two 6 volt batteries in series rather than one 12 volt battery. What is best? The battery tray has space for two batteries.

#2 hermanmullins

hermanmullins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:31 PM

MikeMarie, Welcome to the Forum. If I understand, you are speaking about your House Battery. If it is time to replace the house battery and you do infact have room 2 six volts in series will give you longer usage. Be sure and purchase Golf Cart Batteries. They a deep cycle and will last longer.
It appears you are new to RVing. Have you joined FMCA? If not it is a wounderful orginazation with lots of great people. You might want to check in to joining a Chapter in your area. You can find them on the FMCA Home Page Areas and Chapters.

"Fair winds and Following Seas"

Herman & Bobbie Mullins, F302225
Whitewright, TEXAS
'02 Monaco Dynasty, 40-foot 400 HP ISL
Chevrolet Silverado (M & G air brakes)
U.S. Navy PR-3 1956 to 1964

Southern Region Vice President for Six-State Rally Association
Lone Star Chapter FMCA Past President
South Central Lucky Rollers
Rally in The Pasture

#3 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,790 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:37 PM

Mike,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

There are a couple of ways to answer that:

Two 6 VDC batteries in series (i.e. golf cart batteries) are the least expensive way to get deep cycle batteries in the 220+ amp-hr class.

They are no better than a true deep cycle 12 VDC battery of the same amp-hr rating, but you will generally pay more for a 12 VDC one or get a "multi-purpose" battery less suited for deep cycle work. Main reason, there are a LOT of golf cart batteries sold, and they are generally good quality to be able to stand up to golf cart use.

If $ are not the primary consideration, consider AGM batteries-- either 6 or 12 VDC. They are more expensive, but are maintenance free, long lived and do not out-gas except under extreme overcharging. Here is an example of an AGM: http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/

Brett

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
2003 Alpine 38'
Moderator, FMCA.com Forums
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Member, FMCA Long-Range and Development Committee 2007-2009
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/(FMCA chapter)

#4 MikeMarie

MikeMarie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

I tried the Lifeline series 6 volt AGM batteries but they would not fit in my battery tray and they don't make any of the size that do.  I ended up buying flooded Interstate deep cycle batteries, 2 12 volt that I rigged in parallel so I should now have the power when I need it as well as a longer life of the batteries when boondocking.  Thanks for all of your support folks this sort of response is very helpful for a near novice in motor homing.

Mike...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users