Icon Welcome to the FMCA Motorhome Forums!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to create topics; post replies to existing topics; upload pictures; manage your profile; get your own private messenger; create blogs; and more. Sign up now! Already have an account? Sign in. This message will be removed once you are signed in.

Photo
- - - - -

Motorhome Insurance Feedback - GMAC, Geico

gmac geico

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 mikendar

mikendar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • I travel:Full-time in my motorhome

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

It's renewal time again. We are looking at changing carriers due to premium increases with our current company. I am looking at GMAC (a FMCA referral) and GEICO. both are very competitive. Any feedback on either company would be vry helpful i.e. claims, service, problems. any info, either positive or negative would be welcome.
Thanks,
Mike

#2 DickandLois

DickandLois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

Hi Mike, We have used GMAC through Good Sams over the last 20 years and have been very pleased with there service and price.
They use a sliding scale for mileage and then where you home address is located. We have used it 3 times over that period of 20 years. The price has gone up but only by about 20.00 Dollars. must also say a good driving record and good credit score helps.
We have a higher deductible so if we have a clam, and even if its a little over the deductible we pay out of pocket.

Rich.

#3 mrboyer

mrboyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

We have GMAC. Our only claims have been for windshields with no problems and very responsive. We were able to get the motor home and two autos covered for less than our motor home with our previous insurance.

#4 RVerOnTheMove

RVerOnTheMove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

If you have not done so yet, you should also check out Explorer RV insurance and see how they stack up.
http://www.explorerrv.com/
Bill

#5 mikendar

mikendar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

Thank you all for the quick responses. It is very helpful and it looks like GMAC is a good choice.

#6 RVerOnTheMove

RVerOnTheMove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

Full-timers and part-timers beware that different coverages are required.
Bill

#7 vtbigdog

vtbigdog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:37 AM

AARP through The Hartford has the lowest rates I could find.
Regards,

Richard

2003 Safari Trek 3011 W20
8.1 Workhorse / Allison

#8 sammebuck

sammebuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

Been with GMAC for 3 years, no accidents, incidents, tickets, age bracket changes, no problem. This year, they raised me 44% with no explanation. Said it was a "revision" with the state. I called the State Office of Insurance for Louisiana.....they thought that was excessive...but by the time they review the policy, we'll be with someone else. Went from 1818 a year for RV and car (full timers) to 2590. Probably going to Geico now. They have very good rates. Was quoted 1736 per year for same coverage I have now except the total loss. They don't do total loss, only FMV. However, RV will be 5 years old in 2014 anyway, so would have lost it then. Shop around....GMAC having LOTS of bad press lately in the forums (IRV2; GS, etc) for their rate increases lately.
Richard and Samme (and Honor the cat)
2009 Southwind 36D
towing a 2009 Honda Fit Sport

#9 hermanmullins

hermanmullins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

We had GMAC from 2001 until last year. We had it through Good Sams. When I checked on it through FMCA it was a slight bit higher. I understand, FMCA didn't have a history with GMAC yet. Last year I got a quote from my local Kemper agent. What to my suprise and wondering eyes was a price for 1 yaer that I had paid for 6 months with GMAC. It was just over $2,000.00 for the Motor Home, My truck, and the wife's car for 1 year. Please don't take me wrong, GMAC handle every issue I had very well. But in the end (retirement) we had to go with the dollars.

Herman

"Fair winds and Following Seas"

Herman & Bobbie Mullins
Whitewright, TEXAS
F302225
'02 Monaco Dynasty
40 ft 400 HP ISL
Chevrolet Silverado (M & G air brakes)
US Navy PR-3 1956 to 1964

Southern Region Vice President for Six-State Rally Association
Lone Star Chapter FMCA Past President
South Central Lucky Rollers
Rally in The Pasture

#10 bizsmith@yahoo.com

bizsmith@yahoo.com

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

I have USAA auto insurance. Now before someone jumps all over me that auto insurance is inadequate, my home insurance is also USAA and will cover items not included in the auto insurance.

#11 wigginsjsr

wigginsjsr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

It's my understanding that USAA doesn't write MH insurance. They have a connection with Progressive.

#12 bsinmich

bsinmich

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:14 AM

Any discussion like this has no definite answer for anyone. Every state has their own insurance commissions and their own rates. The company that could be lowest in one state can be the highest across the state line. If I would move across the state to Detroit I would get to pay double for my insurance. Credit score, driving record, location and state rules all affect your insurance rates.

#13 ChuckElsesser

ChuckElsesser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

Have GMAC Just received 2013 statement. Full time MH, car in 2012 $ 1997.00/ yr  2013 they want $ 4558.88 in FL.

Needless to say I'm on the phone calling other co's

#14 nitehawk

nitehawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

We just switched from Geico to Overland Insurance Services and now have better coverage than Geico for about half the price!! We moved our toad insurance to same as our pickup so we would qualify for Motorhome RV insurance.
Agent was very helpful and informative. We wanted to have him supply our auto insurance, but he felt it best that we "shop around" here in our home state.

#15 Medico

Medico

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:07 PM

I had the same as Herman. I got GMAC quotes through GS and FMCA, and GS was considerably lower in the couple hundred dollar range. GMAC was also considerably lower than all other quotes, both for MH only and for MH with Toad going FT.

FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655

2006 Country Coach Magna (525 HP Cat C13 1650 torque, Alison 4000 6 speed tranny), 2012 Jeep Liberty

CountryCoachMagna1med_zps83669550.jpg

#16 Xplorer

Xplorer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

Just obtained quotes for RV = Full-time Coverage.  Sold the house last Friday.....Just can't sit still.

Geico Coverage is for both Vehicles.

Geico is $180 less for both the RV & Sonic, which also includes RV E Roadside and Auto E Roadside, compared to Blue Sky for just the RV, .

Blue sky quoted the Sonic at $1216.00, either they made a mistake or they're pistons are not firing in sequence.    Interesting quote. If that is an accurate quote, then Geico is $1396 less.  No Accidents, No Moving Violations, Excellent Credit.

Geico is over $300 less for both the RV & Sonic compared to Progressive for just the RV.

Interesting comparison on quotes.

Oh, forgot, the quotes were for less $ amount coverage.

Hmm-mm, let me think?   What to do!

This has become a semi-annual ritual, glad I have the time,,,retirement is such a chore.  Oh, Well, someone has to,,,you know the rest.

I have had outstanding customer and claim service over the years with both Geico and Progressive.  Progressive priced themselves out of my market.

Full time coverage, plus ERS with Geico comes to $1112 per year on 2 semi annual policies.

2006 Allegro 34WA Open Roads 8.1L Workhorse W20

2013 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ

TST 507RV TPMS

2009 Brake Buddy Classic

2009 Blue Ox Aventa LX

#17 Allegiance40x

Allegiance40x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

Just to clarify USAA, they insure some RVs and some boats, up to a certain price, then they refer you to Progressive.  I do not know what that price point is.  Some are hesitant to use Progressive due to their politics.

#18 macky

macky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:13 AM

Purchasing motorhome cover isn't anything like getting insurance for your motorcar. There are several different areas you have to consider, and some of them will be very important to your particular needs. If this is your first RV or you've never taken it on a holiday; today is the day you get a better feel for what you need to have in your policy. Plus, we'll give you an inside look at how to save money as well.

motorhome insurance

#19 pmarth

pmarth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:27 AM

I switched from GMAC through Good Sam to Progressive this year.  Their yearly cost was just slightly higher than GMAC 6 month cost.  I've had motorcycles through them for many years and have had only 1 claim and they were great. No experience with any RV claims. 

Pete

USAF (retired)

2006 Damon Daybreak

2013 Suzuki S-40 Hauled

2007 HHR Towed

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gmac, geico

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users