Icon Welcome to the FMCA Motorhome Forums!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to create topics; post replies to existing topics; upload pictures; manage your profile; get your own private messenger; create blogs; and more. Sign up now! Already have an account? Sign in. This message will be removed once you are signed in.

Photo
- - - - -

Tow Bars: Roadmaster vs Blue Ox vs Demco vs NSA Ready Brake

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 BNichols

BNichols

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

I just replaced my '04 Saturn Vue toad with a '13 Ford Focus SE Titanium HB.  Even though I've been using a Roadmaster Falcon and an Even Brake, I will be replacing both. 

My quandry is which towbar to go with. I'm hoping to get enough feedback with both pros and cons of each brand before I make my final decision. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bert Nichols
F416083
'98 Gulfstream Sun Voyager 37'
Toad - '13 Ford Focus Titanium

US Navy Retired - FC1

#2 Pocono1

Pocono1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:38 PM

I am towing a 2013 Focus Titanium hatch with the Roadmaster sterling and the Invisibrake.

No problems going from ny to Florida and back.

My MH is a Jayco Greyhawk 31 ds.

#3 desertdeals69

desertdeals69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

I would go with Roadmaster, not only a good product but customer service is tops.

#4 wigginsjsr

wigginsjsr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

I have been using the Roadmaster Sterling with the SMI brake system for over 30,000 miles with no problems.  Easy to hook and unhook, and the SMI brake system is great in that it is a system that requires two events to engage, not just the brake lights.  Gives you really true proportional braking.

#5 vsheetz

vsheetz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

I went with Blue Ox Adventa - because BO is a major vender and was available via Craigslist at a very good price.

#6 Xplorer

Xplorer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

I have used the below BO and BB on a 2008 Jeep Liberty and now the Sonic.  Both have provided excellent performance.

It has worked well for me.  Easy setup, disconnect, and storing.  Got the BB to easily move from one vehicle to another.  Went from the liberty to the sonic.  Who knows where it goes next, but I like the portability.

2006 Allegro 34WA Open Roads 8.1L Workhorse W20

2013 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ

TST 507RV TPMS

2009 Brake Buddy Classic

2009 Blue Ox Aventa LX

#7 api100

api100

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:55 PM

I also use the BlueOx to tow a Ford Explorer. I've had the BO about 8 yrs and have used it on two coaches. A few years ago
I was in the area of the BO factory (Pender, Ne) so I visited their factory. While there they refurbished my tow bar, new bolts, washers
etc. at a very minimal fee. I've towed over 40k miles and still working great.

#8 srfridley

srfridley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

I have used a Demco tow bar for about 8 years and towed 4 different vehicles about 60,000 miles with no problems. I have installed tow brackets on all 4  vehicles myself, one of the brackets was a Roadmaster since Demco didn't make a bracket for that car (2000 mustang). In my opinion, the Demco products were much better engineered to fit and install.

#9 BNichols

BNichols

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

I would like to thank all that have responded to my question.

Is there anybody else that would care to contribute their opinions?

Bert Nichols
F416083
'98 Gulfstream Sun Voyager 37'
Toad - '13 Ford Focus Titanium

US Navy Retired - FC1

#10 Foretraveler

Foretraveler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

We think that Blue Ox and Roadmaster are first class in customer service and support.  Roadmaster has many more miscellaneous parts and products and is sold in Camping World.  And both make good towbars.

But for the life of me, I cannot see why Roadmaster baseplates are desired over Blue Ox.  After we disconnect our toad, we quickly & easily always remove two small round Blue Ox inserts to make our Jeep look 'normal' and not bump our legs when we walk in front of our car.  I know Roadmaster baseplate outside parts can be removed, but nowhere near as easy as Blue Ox inserts.  And to store the Roadmaster parts is another story as it is big and heavy.  Most never remove Roadmaster parts from front of toad and to me, the cars look like toads, shins get bumped by owners and strangers, and towing hookup parts are vulnerable to parking lot damage.

#11 WhiteEagle

WhiteEagle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

+1 for Blue OX ...

3 years .. still like it..

2009 Allegro Bus 40 QSP-Powerglide-Cummins ISL 8.9L DP-Allison 3000 6speed-2 stage Jake EB-Pressure Pro -Blue Ox Plate, Bar, Patriot Braking system-XtraRide Platinum Warranty FMCA Badgers-Allegro Club WAW- -CoachNet Platinum Roadside-Progressive Insur.

Everything's Relative - Unless Something Changes, Nothing Will

#12 desertdeals69

desertdeals69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

Last I heard was the Roadmaster services their tow bars at no charge and Blue Ox charges $25 or $50.

#13 remeola

remeola

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

Roadmaster will go around to all coaches at a rally and service any Roadmaster tow bar they find on a coach, BTW...

#14 campcop

campcop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

Blue Ox used here...
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QBH
2013 Jeep Wrangler
2011 HD FXDC

#15 chudgens

chudgens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

I am a Nicky new guy at RV'ing but myself and a friend just installed a Blue Ox baseplate and wiring kit on my 2011 Jeep Wrangler. Have towed the Jeep a couple of times and the BO is very easy to hook up and un hook. Like everything about it so far.

#16 sbissell

sbissell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:11 PM

I bought a 2012 Jeep Liberty and went with the Blue Ox. It's really good, easy fit and easy hook up. 

#17 John_Harris

John_Harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:42 PM

Blue Ox on 2007 Liberty-- very pleased. Self installed base plate. Easy hook up. Like look when pins removed-- almost invisible thru front valance.

John & Cathyrn Harris
2007 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2007 Jeep Liberty Toad

#18 BillO

BillO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:34 PM

I just switched from Roadmaster to Blue Ox when I bought a new toad. 

I think that they both make good products but, like foretraveler above, I really didn't like all that hardware of the Roadmaster hanging off the front end of my small car when not towing.  Now, the Blue Ox hook up is nearly invisible once I pull the attaching pins.

That said, I prefer the Roadmaster tow bar for the sleeker design and slightly simpler operation.

If I could have arranged it more expeditiously, I think that I would have bought the Blue Ox base plate and a Roadmaster towbar with Blue Ox ends.

Since I have a coach with air brakes and a new car on the M&G fit list (actually a purchase criteria) I will shortly be installing an M&G auxiliary air brake in the new car.

#19 desertdeals69

desertdeals69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:48 PM

We think that Blue Ox and Roadmaster are first class in customer service and support.  Roadmaster has many more miscellaneous parts and products and is sold in Camping World.  And both make good towbars.

But for the life of me, I cannot see why Roadmaster baseplates are desired over Blue Ox.  After we disconnect our toad, we quickly & easily always remove two small round Blue Ox inserts to make our Jeep look 'normal' and not bump our legs when we walk in front of our car.  I know Roadmaster baseplate outside parts can be removed, but nowhere near as easy as Blue Ox inserts.  And to store the Roadmaster parts is another story as it is big and heavy.  Most never remove Roadmaster parts from front of toad and to me, the cars look like toads, shins get bumped by owners and strangers, and towing hookup parts are vulnerable to parking lot damage.

I use the Roadmaster Sterling tow bar with a Demco base plate I modified to accept the Roadmaster ends.  It is fixed, not removable, but it does not stick out further than the center peak of the bumper.  Its on a Silverado 1500.

#20 rebane

rebane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:08 AM

My toad has followed us for 7 yrs.  Started out with Blue Ox, after problems that Blue Ox ignored, I kept the Blue Ox base plate (I like the removable inserts) and use a Demco.  It came with an adapter for BO, this combination provides better disconnection when not on level ground or on a turn. I am a happy camper, Demco has a presence at most RV shows I've been to - this is a plus. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users