Icon Welcome to the FMCA Motorhome Forums!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to create topics; post replies to existing topics; upload pictures; manage your profile; get your own private messenger; create blogs; and more. Sign up now! Already have an account? Sign in. This message will be removed once you are signed in.

Photo
- - - - -

Need New Tires...Crazy Idea: 14" Wide Rear Wheels?

Tires alcoa aluminum wide base wheels motorhome 10 lug

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mlmacchia

mlmacchia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:48 PM

2005 Coachmen 380D, diesel pusher, looking to replace the tires before next season. Currently running 275 80R 22.5's on 10-lug steel wheels with the fake wheelcovers. When I change the tires, I was considering replacing 4 of the wheels (front and outside rears) with forged aluminum wheels to save a little weight & upgrade the rig.

Then a wild thought popped into my head...how about the 14" wide-base wheels & tires to replace the rear duals? I'm sure many of you have seen tractor-trailers on the road with the single wide rear wheels in place of the duals...I'm wondering if they would (a) work in an RV application and ( B) not look stupid.

This coach does NOT have a tag axle, so we're talking factory configuration of 2 front wheels and 4 rear.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Matt

#2 ahepburn51

ahepburn51

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:38 AM

Have you checked the prices? Super Single wheels will run you around $1000 each and up; then the tires are in the $1000 range as well. Once you have them mounted, if you have a tire problem on the road you can expect to wait over 8 hours for help because not many tire shops stock them. If you can live with that you should consider what truck drivers say about them: I know very few drivers who think much about them for over the road driving.

Alan & Sandy Hepburn - Proud to be a Blue Star Family

San Jose, Ca, USA

RV: 2007 Bounder 35E Workhorse

toad: 2008 smart car or 2006 Ural Tourist

FMCA Member #F431612

#3 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:58 AM

Here is another discussion on super singles here on the FMCA Forum: http://community.fmc...tires/?hl=super

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
Moderator, FMCA.com Forums
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Member, FMCA Long-Range and Development Committee 2007-2009
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/(FMCA chapter)

#4 rmartin6600

rmartin6600

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:36 PM

There is one, if not two guys running super singles on Tiffin RV's.  I have seen there postings on the Tiffin RV Network where they just mention they have them installed. I have been reading that forum almost daily since we bought our Tiffin Bus 4 years ago; so far have not seen any pro's or con's from guys driving them. You might join and post the question over there.  One of the super single guys is an avid poster.  Very knowledgeable also.  Richard

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tires, alcoa, aluminum, wide, base, wheels, motorhome, 10 lug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users