Icon Welcome to the FMCA Motorhome Forums!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to create topics; post replies to existing topics; upload pictures; manage your profile; get your own private messenger; create blogs; and more. Sign up now! Already have an account? Sign in. This message will be removed once you are signed in.

Photo
- - - - -

Steering/ Suspension/ etc.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 djordan1677

djordan1677

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:34 PM

** DECISION TIME** Can someone help me with my decision. I have a 2003 Monaco Monarch SE36 on a Workorse W 22 chassis, Chevy motor and Allison trans and 22 inch tires; coach has 11,500 miles.

I'm ready to start my suspension upgrade. Sway bars front and rear (Hellwig, Roadmaster or Blue Ox), steering stabilizer (Safe T Plus, Steer Safe, Roadmaster or Blue Ox), steering bell crank (super steer) shocks (Koni or ?). Not sure what I should bundle together for the right ride. While driving you constantly have to move steering wheel to keep steady and it does sway for wind and trucks. The bounce not bad but could be better. Would appreciate your help.

Also what's the best place for pricing.

Thank You Dennis

#2 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:57 PM

OK, in order, here is what I would do:

Set tire pressure per tire manufacturer's recommendation based on actual weight.

Check and replace any sway bar bushings that are not 100%

Check shocks-- don't automatically replace.  Drive over parking lot speed bumps at normal/low speed.  If an axle bounces more than 1.5 times, shocks need replacing. If it doesn't bounce more than 3/4 of a cycle, they are too stiff.

Get an alignment by a good truck shop that  will set caster toward max of specs and verify correct toe-in.

Track bars (aka panhard rods) front and rear.

STOP and evaluate results. Let us know symptoms at this point and we can help spend your money.

Brett

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
Moderator, FMCA.com Forums
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Member, FMCA Long-Range and Development Committee 2007-2009
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/(FMCA chapter)

#3 djordan1677

djordan1677

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:49 PM

Thanks Brett, tire pressure is good and tires are new; will check shocks tomorrow. Alignment seems to be good doesn't pull either way. Just took it out two weeks ago approx 3 hours each way. It drove good except steering wheel movement "back and fourth" but not a killer. Other than the wind. Going underneath bridge good but coming out "did not like" immediate shifted sideways. My coach does not any sway bar at all "front or rear". Whats better in your opinion (track bar or sway bar). Dennis 

#4 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:21 PM

Actually sufficient caster and proper toe-in make a significant difference in tracking.

And, for your complaint, I would start with track bars. If you are not familiar with them, here is what they do: Those long leaf springs and the shackles allow side to side movement of axle  to chassis.  When side winds, bumps, etc cause this to happen, it IS a steering input.  This requires you to make a steering input to correct. 

A track bar (aka Panhard rod) allows for full vertical movement between axle and chassis, but substantially minimizes side to side movement between them.

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540

#5 JERRYLY

JERRYLY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

Best Steering Stabilizer for Blowouts.

There are many Steering Stabilizers on the market. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions as to which would be the best for blowouts.

Bilstein has a stabilizer which is much cheaper than all the other stabilizers but will it provide the safety that other stabilizers offer.

Thanks

Jerry

#6 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:21 PM

Jerry,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Please tell us what chassis you have so answers can be more tailored to what you are driving.  What works best on a Chevy P chassis would not be particularly relevant if you have a diesel pusher.

And, there are two features I look for in a stabilizer:  dampening (important if you have a blow out) AND "return to center", particularly on larger coaches where releasing the steering wheel after a corner still requires you to "unwind" the wheel.  I like a combination of positive caster and stabilizer/dampener that return the wheel after a corner when the wheel is released.

BTW, I am happy with the Safe T Plus on my diesel pusher-- provides both functions and is well built.  Put over 150,000 miles on last coach (also a DP) with the Safe T Plus with no issues before we sold it.

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540

#7 JERRYLY

JERRYLY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:32 PM

I have a 2006 Damon Challenger 355F on a F53 Ford Chassis.

Thanks

Jerry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users